The City of Chicago is currently in Phase Four: "Gradually Resume." Many City services have adjusted hours or locations and may require health screens prior to entering their physical
spaces. Please call ahead or visit any department's website to get additional details, or visit chicago.gov/covid-19.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL), Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle today announced that the Chicago area has been awarded a total of $31.475 million in funding through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Affairs' (HUD) Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery Program. This funding was made available through the FY2013 Sandy Supplemental Appropriations Bill, passed by Congress last year, and is part of a third allocation for communities that are continuing recovery efforts following severe storms and flooding that began on April 18, 2013.
"Last April, extreme weather caused some of the worst flooding that I have ever seen in the Chicago area and forced hundreds of families to leave their homes," Senator Durbin said. "These storms were so severe that many communities in and around Chicago have still not fully recovered from the devastation. This federal disaster aid is welcome news for Illinois families and communities that are still working to repair the damage and continue rebuilding their lives."
"Families throughout Illinois are still recovering from last year's record floods even as more rain continues to fall," Governor Quinn said. "This critical funding will help many throughout the Chicago area get back on their feet and rebuild. I thank President Obama, Senator Durbin and members of the Congressional delegation for coming together to secure this vital assistance for families who need it."
"It is critical that the communities impacted by last spring's significant flooding continue to receive the funding necessary to rebuild their lives," Mayor Emanuel said. "These resources will help to support the ongoing reconstruction efforts in Chicago and bring economic stability to the impacted neighborhoods, businesses and families."
"Last spring's storms had a significant impact on Cook County residents, homes and businesses," Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle said. "Cook County, working with our local, state and federal partners, responded to assist impacted communities. Nonetheless, significant long-term effects are always present after extreme weather. This federal grant will help us ensure that residents and business owners are able to rebuild and recover."
As part of the funding, the City of Chicago will receive $11.075 million for recovery efforts that include restoration of infrastructure and housing and economic revitalization to impacted areas. In addition, Cook County, Illinois will receive $14.8 million and DuPage County, Illinois will receive $5.6 million in allocated funds.
The HUD Disaster Recovery grant program benefits communities that have experienced a natural disaster, and provides for disaster relief, long-term recovery and restoration. The Disaster Relief Appropriations Act of 2013, or Sandy supplemental bill, provided more than $50 billion to 19 federal agencies to help communities rebuild after Hurricane Sandy.