Chicago Energy Benchmarking Free Training & Building Support
The City of Chicago and its partners are working together to provide free training and additional support to help all covered buildings comply with the Chicago Energy Benchmarking Ordinance.
FREE TRAINING & BUILDING SUPPORT (click or scroll down):
- Online Chicago Energy Benchmarking Training Videos
- 2022 Trainings: Dates & Info
- ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager Support & Resources
Questions? We can help! Call the Chicago Energy Benchmarking Help Center at (855) 858-6878 (M-F 9am-5pm) or email Info@ChicagoEnergyBenchmarking.org.
Please click on the links below to access recorded, online webinars with background information and detailed instructions on Chicago Energy Benchmarking.
- Part I: Introduction to the Chicago Energy Benchmarking Ordinance (24 minutes)
- Part II: Benchmarking Your Building Using ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager (38 minutes)
ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager Support Materials: The U.S. EPA offers free online resources to help buildings get started using ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager Software:
- An Overview of Portfolio Manager (PDF, 832KB)
- Portfolio Manager Quick Start Guide (PDF, 508KB)
- How to Benchmark a Campus (PDF, 1.98 MB)
- How to Get Utility Data Into Portfolio Manager (PDF, 567KB)
- List of Portfolio Manager Property Types (PDF, 205.37 KB)
How-To Videos: The following YouTube video links provide step-by-step instructions on specific tasks using the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager software:
- How to Set Up a Property in Portfolio Manager (6:00 minutes)
- How to Set Up Energy, Water, and Waste Meters in Portfolio Manager (7:20 minutes)
- How to Respond to a Data Request in Portfolio Manager (4:38 minutes)
Questions? We Can Help!
Call the Chicago Energy Benchmarking Help Center at (855) 858-6878 (M-F, 9am-5pm) or email Info@ChicagoEnergyBenchmarking.org.
CHICAGO ENERGY BENCHMARKING
Additional Information & Resources
- Submit 2022 Benchmarking Data (ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager)
- Obtain Whole-Building Electricity Data (ComEd)
- Obtain Whole-Building Natural Gas Data (Peoples Gas)
- Find A Benchmarking Service Provider (Illinois Green Alliance)
- Covered Buildings List (City of Chicago Data Portal)
INDUSTRY SUPPORT FOR ENERGY BENCHMARKING & TRANSPARENCY
“This ordinance will help to capture the information to enable better informed real estate decisions and unlock the market for energy efficiency. We believe that this ordinance addresses key business and policy priorities in our sector, including saving money, creating local jobs, protecting our health, and promot[ing] Chicago’s position as a leading sustainable city to attract new business and succeed in the global market place.”
– Commercial and Residential Real Estate Management Executive
“Energy efficiency is not a passing fad; it has become a core value and operating principle for many of Chicago’s largest corporate tenants, condo owners, and residential tenants.”
– Commercial and Residential Real Estate Manager
“Energy [benchmarking and] disclosure [across our management portfolio of more than 1,000 buildings] has helped [condominium] board members feel comfortable making decisions to improve efficiency because they have more accurate data on which to base their decision. They are also able to better quantify the investment and return they will generate. We have found that the more informed owners are about their building’s environmental impact, the more empowered they are to improve it.”
– Residential Portfolio Director of Operations