The Bud Billiken Parade, Bears Pre-Season Home Opener and Other Events to Take Place Across the City This Weekend
The City of Chicago Public Safety Departments remind residents to report suspicious activity to event security or call 9-1-1
The Office of Emergency Management and Communications (OEMC) reminds the public of large crowds and security measures in place for the start of the Chicago Bears pre-season as well as the Bud Billiken Parade and many festivals and events happening in the city this weekend. As always, OEMC stresses the importance of being aware of surroundings at all times and report suspicious activity to on-site event security or call 9-1-1.
Motorists in the areas where events are happening should be prepared for heavy traffic and possible reroutes. Street closures will be in effect for larger events to ensure public safety. Traffic Control Aides (TCAs) will be on hand at events citywide to direct flow and impacts from heavy traffic. Public transportation is encouraged. For more information on CTA services and reroutes, visit www.transitchicago.com
OEMC will monitor weekend events and weather conditions citywide in its Operations Center and coordinate public safety resources with the Chicago Police Department, Chicago Fire Department and City of Chicago infrastructure departments. Residents and motorists should be aware of the following large events in the city this weekend:
Bud Billiken Parade / Bronzeville Community
Saturday, August 14 at 10 am.
The 92nd Annual Bud Billiken Parade will step-off at 10 a.m. in the Bronzeville Community at King Drive and 45th Street. Street closures are along King Drive from 39th Street thru 59th Street and along 55th from Prairie Avenue east into Washington Park to Cottage Grove. The parade route is as follows: 45th Street at King Drive and proceed south on King Drive to 51st Street and east on 51st Street to Ellsworth Drive in Washington Park, then South on Ellsworth to Morgan Dr. and Payne Dr. for disbanding. All units will disband on Payne Drive, east of Morgan Drive in Washington Park.
OEMC, the Chicago Police Department, Chicago Fire Department will be on-site coordinating public safety and resources. The Traffic Management Authority TCAs will be on hand to direct flow and impacts of traffic. Motorists in the area should be aware of street closures and pedestrians.
Chicago Bears Pre-Season Opener / Soldier Field
Saturday, August 14 at Noon
The Chicago Bears take on the Miami Dolphins at Soldier Field for their first home preseason game at noon on Saturday. Parking lots will open at 8 a.m. and gates open at 10 am.
- Fans attending the game are required to enter Soldier Filed using a mobile ticket.
- Soldier Field’s NFL clear bag policy will be in effect for this event. Clear plastic bags/backpacks that do not exceed 12"x6"x12" or one-gallon (or smaller) clear plastic freezer bags are allowed. Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap, may be carried into the stadium along with one of the clear bag options. For complete details including a list of prohibited items, visit ChicagoBears.com/game-day/
- Stadium policies and safety enhancements compliant with all NFL health and safety recommendations were implemented at Soldier Field over this past season, including the creation of a Stadium Infection Response Team. A robust stadium cleaning and disinfecting plan was introduced and will continue to keep fans and staff safe in 2021. Some of these changes that fans will notice this season include mobile-only ticketing, touchless points of sale at concession stands and retail locations, hand sanitizing stations throughout the stadium and updated signage promoting scaled up hygiene practices. For details, visit ChicagoBears.com/FanZone/
Parking, Ride-Share and Transportation:
- Event Parking lots open at 8 am.
- Rideshare Uber/Lyft drop-off/pick-up is located at Balbo and Columbus. The 18th St. turnaround will also be designated for drop-offs and the 18th St. McCormick lot will be utilized for pick-ups. Rideshare users are urged to be alert and take the necessary precautions before entering a ride-share vehicle.
- No exiting from vehicles on or along DuSable Lake Shore Drive will be condoned.
- Residential parking restrictions are in effect around Soldier Field. Call 3-1-1 to locate towed vehicles.
Chicago White Sox v. New York Yankees / Guaranteed Rate Field
Saturday, August 14, 6:10 pm. and Sunday, August 15, 1:10 pm.
The Chicago White Sox take on the New York Yankees this weekend at Guaranteed Rate Field. Public transportation is encouraged and motorists in the area should be prepared for heavy traffic and possible reroutes. Fans can follow the White Sox on Facebook and Twitter (@whitesox) for the latest information and updates or visit
Wells Street Art Festival / North Wells Street (Between North and Division)
Saturday, August 14 and Sunday, August 15, 10 a.m.– Dusk
Wells Street Art Festival features juried artists from around North America representing several disciplines along with entertainment and more. Entrances to the festival are located at 1560 North Wells Street and 1202 North Wells Street. North Wells Street will be closed between North Avenue and Division Streets and intersecting streets at Scott, Goethe, Evergreen and Schiller are also considered part of the festival. For additional details, visit WellsStreetArtFest.us
Meet Me on The Mile / Historic Water Tower
Sunday, August 15, 9a.m. – 5 pm.
Meet Me on The Mile will feature free entertainment in outdoor plazas and offer pedestrian access to portions of North Michigan Avenue, closed to traffic, one Sunday each month between August and October. The event on Sunday will take place at the Historic Water Tower Activation at North Michigan Avenue between Pearson Street and Chicago Avenue. For additional details, visit TheMagnificentMile.com
Retro on Roscoe / 2000 W. Roscoe Street
Friday, August 13, 5p.m.–10p.m., Saturday, August 14 and Sunday, August 15, 12–10p.m.
The 24th Annual Retro on Roscoe festival includes three stages along a six-block stretch on West Roscoe Street from Damen Avenue to Oakley Street. For additional details, visit Starevents.com/event/retro-on-
Edison Park Fest / 6730 North Olmsted Avenue
Friday, August, 5p.m.–10p.m, Saturday, August 14 and Sunday, August 15, 12–10p.m.
This annual community fundraiser welcomes nearly 20,000 attendees throughout the weekend. For additional details, visit EdisonParkFest.org/
Motorists in the areas where events are happening should be prepared for heavy traffic and possible reroutes. Street closures in the area may be implemented to ensure the public safety. Traffic Control Aides (TCAs) will be on hand at events citywide to direct flow and impacts from heavy traffic. Public transportation is encouraged. For more information on CTA services and reroutes, visit www.transitchicago.com
Report Suspicious Activity: If you See Something Say Something. The city reminds the public to be aware of their surroundings and to report suspicious activity. If you notice something suspicious, notify onsite security or call 9-1-1. If You See Something, Say Something™ is a national anti-terrorism public awareness campaign that emphasizes the importance of reporting suspicious activity to law enforcement authorities.
OEMC advises Chicagoans to be aware of weather conditions and to follow instructions and heed all warnings from public safety officials. We encourage residents to check the weather before heading out. The National Weather Service has forecasted sunny conditions with temperatures in the 70s and low 80s through the weekend.
The Office of Emergency Management and Communications (OEMC) will monitor events through a collaboration with public safety partners. OEMC will issue any alerts and notifications needed to keep residents and attendees up to date on weather conditions and emergencies. Sign up for NotifyChicago alerts at NotifyChicago.org. OEMC also issues TEXT alerts for lakefront notices, issues affecting businesses or COVID-19 updates:
- CHILAKE: For lakefront notices, TEXT “CHILAKE” to 7-8-0-1-5
- CHIBIZ: For alerts affecting businesses, TEXT “CHIBIZ” to 6-7-2-8-3
- COVID: Get COVID-19 updates by TEXTING “COVID19” to 6-7-2-8-3
For additional information on emergency preparedness information, visit the OEMC website at Chicago.gov/OEMC. Follow the Office of Emergency Management and Communications on Facebook (@coemc), Twitter (@ChicagoOEMC) and Instagram (chicago_oemc_911).
# # #