Evacuations & Shelter In Place
Protocol - Evacuation
Evacuation occurs only when a serious threat to public safety exists. If you are told to evacuate, through either local media or directly by city officials, do so immediately.
- Plan several different places you could go and find out where designated shelters are in your area.
- Know the evacuation plans for important locations (i.e. work, school, etc.)Hotels and motels fill up fast during evacuations.
- Call to make sure there is room for you and your family before driving there.
- Keep phone numbers and maps for each potential evacuation location.Wear sturdy shoes and appropriate clothing.
- Take your go bag.
- Lock your house.
- Leave a note telling people when you left and where you are going.
- Use authorized routes.
- When you are safe, call your out-of-area contact and let him or her know where you are.