Trade Licensing

The Department of Buildings administers trade licenses and registrations for more than 23,000 construction industry professionals, including general contractors, supervising electricians, electrical contractors, plumber’s apprentices, plumbers, plumbing contractors, mason contractors, stationary (boiler) engineers, apprentice crane operators, crane operators, supervising elevator mechanics, and elevator mechanic contractors.

The Department of Buildings works with Continental Testing Services (CTS) to offer examinations and process license applications for most types of trade licenses. CTS can be reached at (800) 359-1313. 


Chicago Trade License Information Center

Learn about the different types of trade licenses issued by the City of Chicago and find out where to apply for and renew each type of trade license.

Contractor License Lookup

The City of Chicago Department of Buildings administers licenses for contractors involved in the construction, maintenance, rehabilitation, and demolition of buildings and building systems, referred to as “trade contractors.” Using this site, you can find currently licensed trade contractors and trade contractors with recently expired or inactivated licenses.

Drainlayer License

A drainlayer license is required to obtain a permit for sewer construction, repair, adjustment, rodding or cleaning.

File a Complaint About A City Licensed Contractor

The City of Chicago Department of Buildings investigates false statements made in the course of business with the Department.