Permit Fee Waivers for Seniors
The City of Chicago offers waivers of building permit fees for senior citizens for projects that meet the following criteria:
- the building owner must be 65 years old or older
- the building owner must have owned the building for at least 10 years
- the building owner must have lived in the building for at least the last 10 years
- the scope of work for the permit must be repair, alteration, or an addition to a building with one to three dwelling units
- the income level of the senior citizen building owner must not exceed 80% of the Chicago area median family income as calculated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The current area median income limits are available from the Department of Planning and Development.