Permit Fee Waivers for Seniors
The City of Chicago offers waivers of building permit fees for senior citizens for projects that meet the following criteria:
- the building owner must be 65 years old or older
- the building owner must have owned the building for at least 10 years
- the building owner must have lived in the building for at least the last 10 years
- the scope of work for the permit must be repair, alteration, or an addition to a building with one to three dwelling units
- the income level of the senior citizen building owner must not exceed 80% of the Chicago area median family income as calculated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The current area median income limits are available from the Department of Housing.