The former Mutual Insurance Building in Uptown and St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church complex in Ukrainian Village were approved as official City of Chicago landmarks today by City Council.
Mutual Insurance Building
One of the largest office buildings outside of the Loop when it was completed in the 1920s, the eight-story structure at 4750 N. Sheridan Rd. served as headquarters for James S. Kemper & Co. and several affiliated insurance firms into the 1960s. Its cream-colored Classical Revival-style exterior is characterized by decorative piers, foliated moldings, sculptured heads and animal figures. The building’s first four floors, designed by architects Fugard and Knapp, were constructed in 1921. A four-story addition designed by B. Leo Steif and Co. doubled the height of the building in 1927. The designation protects the building’s exterior elevations and rooflines from significant alteration.
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church and School Building
The Gothic Revival-style church and school buildings at 913-25 N. Hoyne Ave. were built in 1906. Designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Worthmann & Steinbach, the church features a limestone portico, stained-glass windows and a central gable flanked by two towers. The adjacent, two-story school building is characterized a red brick facade trimmed with limestone and brick accents and other gothic-style motifs. The proposal will expand the nearby Ukrainian Village Landmark District to include the two buildings. The district was originally designated in 2002. The exterior elevations and rooflines of buildings in the district are protected from significant alteration.
# # #