Waste and Recycling
Reducing Chicago’s waste helps conserve resources, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and minimize landfill space. From recycling to opting out of junk mail, Chicago offers a range of services to help residents reduce their waste and Mayor Emanuel is committed to providing those services to taxpayers in the most cost-effective way possible. Explore the links below to learn more about Chicago’s recycling and waste reduction resources.
- Blue Cart Recycling - Find schedules and a list of accepted materials for the city's Blue Cart Residential Recycling Program.
- Recycling Drop Off Centers - Identify which Recycling Drop Off Center is closest to you.
- Household Chemicals and Computer Recycling Facility - View the location and hours for this facility to recycle electronics and safely dispose of chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
- Chicago Public Schools Recycling - Find out how Chicago Public Schools are recycling and earning rewards.
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling - Review this ordinance which requires that contractors recycle at least 50% of the recyclable debris generated.
- Waste Characterization Study - Learn what materials make up Chicago's waste stream in this 2009 study.