Waste and Recycling
Reducing Chicago’s waste helps divert materials from the waste stream, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and minimize land filling. Mayor Lightfoot recently released the Chicago Waste Strategy to drive new and innovative strategies to tackle the issues of waste that impacts our communities, environment, and economy.
Read the 2021 Chicago Waste Strategy here.
Explore the links below to learn more about Chicago’s recycling and waste reduction resources.
- Blue Cart Recycling - Find schedules and a list of accepted materials for the city's Blue Cart Residential Recycling Program.
- Recycling Drop Off Centers - Identify which Recycling Drop Off Center is closest to you.
- Household Chemicals and Computer Recycling Facility - View the location and hours for this facility to recycle electronics and safely dispose of chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
- Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling - Review this ordinance which requires that contractors recycle at least 50% of the recyclable debris generated.
- 2009 Waste Characterization Study - An archive of the 2009 report. Please see the Chicago Waste Strategy for updated data from 2020.
- View the comprehensive guide for recycling for the City of Chicago by Recycle by City