Maximum Capacity Signs

Do you want to skip the trip to City Hall?

While access to City Hall remains limited, please email for current application instructions. Walk-in assistance is not available at this time.

Maximum capacity signs (sometimes called "occupancy placards") are required for every theater and every other room or space where more than 100 people gather for civic, political, educational, religious, social, recreational, or other similar activity. Maximum capacity signs may also be required for smaller non-theater facilities as a condition of the business license or liquor license. Spaces which require maximum capacity signs include theaters, auditoriums, churches, ballrooms and dance halls, exhibit halls, museums and galleries, meeting rooms, restaurants and bars, gyms and athletic facilities (with or without spectators), and schools.

Maximum capacity signs must be posted and continuously displayed at a conspicuous, well-lit location at the main entrance to the theater, room, or space.

For complete requirements, see Section 14A-8-802 of the Municipal Code.