Request for Information
Franchise for Electricity Delivery
The City of Chicago (“City”), through its Department of Assets, Information and Services (“AIS”), invited interested parties to respond to this Request for Information (“RFI”) regarding the City’s Franchise for Electricity Delivery.
The City received 14 responses to the invitation and thoroughly reviewed each submission to explore new and innovative ways to reliably, equitably, affordably and sustainably meet Chicago's 21st century electricity needs.
After intensive internal review, the City determined that the most viable and affordable opportunity to deliver meaningful community and climate benefits was to renegotiate the City's electricity franchise with the incumbent provider. The RFI responses and public feedback on the electricity franchise were used to develop a more robust electricity franchise agreement.
For more information about the proposed 2023 Electricity Franchise Agreement and the accompanying Energy and Equity Agreement, please visit www.chicago.gov/electricityfranchise.
The City is dedicated to providing communities and businesses with an Electricity Franchise that will:
- Assure and deliver an adequate, safe, and reliable supply of electricity to meet the electricity needs of Chicago;
- Ensure that the people of Chicago have an electric system that is resilient in the face of climate threats and equitably reduce energy cost burdens for residents;
- Promote a clean energy future for all by bringing the benefits of energy efficiency, decarbonization of buildings, and access to affordable renewable energy and carbon-free transportation options to all residents;
- Advance Chicago’s 62% carbon emissions reduction goal by 2040 as set out in the 2022 Climate Action Plan; and
- Expand workforce and economic opportunities for all Chicagoans in the clean energy economy, especially residents on the frontlines of the climate crisis.
July 19, 2021 Virtual Town Hall
Recording of the Virtual Town Hall on July 19, 2021
Participate in additional community conversations. To request a presentation to your network or community group, email FranchiseFeedback@cityofchicago.org
Prompts for Feedback on Chicago's Electricity Franchise
- Prompts for Feedback on Chicago’s Electricity Franchise-EN (English)
- Prompts for Feedback on Chicago’s Electricity Franchise-AR (Arabic)
- Prompts for Feedback on Chicago’s Electricity Franchise-ES (Spanish)
- Prompts for Feedback on Chicago’s Electricity Franchise-PL (Polish)
- Prompts for Feedback on Chicago’s Electricity Franchise-SC (Chinese)
- Electricity Franchise Agreement webpage
- 2008 Climate Action Plan
- 2015 Climate Agenda
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory in 2017
- City of Chicago Municipalization Feasibility Report
- 1992 Franchise Agreement
- Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot's Letter Outlining Electricity Franchise Policy Priorities