Voluntary Supplemental Insurance
VOLUNTARY SUPPLEMENTAL INSURANCE
Beginning in January 2018, employees will have the opportunity to purchase voluntary supplemental insurance through payroll deduction. Voluntary Supplemental Insurance will be sold by two insurers:
- Combined Insurance Company 1-888-870-3382
- Aflac Insurance Company 1-888-382-3522
Each insurer is authorized to enroll you in one of three supplemental insurance products:
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance pays a fixed dollar amount if you are hospitalized
- Accidental Injury Insurance pays a fixed dollar amount for certain medical and other services if you are injured in a non-work accident
- Critical Care insurance pays a fixed dollar amount if you become ill with a specified critical diagnosis
Employees should carefully consider which of the optional products the City offers best meets their needs for life insurance, disability insurance, medical and dental care and now supplemental insurance through payroll deduction. Detailed information about these products is available directly from the insurers at the numbers listed above.
The City of Chicago Benefits Office does not provide advice regarding these insurance products.