Red Light Camera Violation Defenses
The following defenses are allowed for red-light violations recorded by automated cameras (violations issued pursuant to 9-102-020 of the Municipal Code of Chicago). Notice are sent by mail and display three images of a ticketed vehicle, including a close-up image of the vehicle's license plate:
- The operator of the vehicle was issued a uniform traffic citation for a violation of Section 9-8-020(c) or Section 9-16-030(c).
- The violation occurred when the vehicle or its license plate was reported to a law enforcement agency as having been stolen, and the vehicle or license plate had not been recovered by the owner at the time of the alleged violation.
- The vehicle was an authorized emergency vehicle or was a vehicle lawfully participating in a funeral procession;
- The facts alleged in the violation notice are inconsistent or do not support a finding that Section 9-8-020(c) or Section 9-16-030(c) was violated;
- The respondent was not the registered owner of the cited vehicle at the time of the violation.