DFSS Enrichment programs provide supervised after-school and year-round programs for more than 17,000 youth and young adults each year throughout the City of Chicago that strengthen relationships with parents, teachers, peers, and community. Enrichment programs support participants’ success in school, physical and emotional safety, and social and emotional development.
- Participants feel safe and supported
- Participants learn a new skill or increase existing skills
- Participants build positive relationships with adults and peers
- Participants feel a sense of connectedness and belonging
Enrichment Program Models
DFSS Enrichment programs operate in three models:
- The Year-Round program model provides programming during the school year, summer, and school breaks, such as winter break and spring break.
- The School Year program model provides programming during the school year and school breaks, such as winter break and spring break.
- The Summer program model provides programming during the summer months.
Who does the program serve?
Enrichment programs are open to all youth who live in Chicago between the ages of 6 and 21. Over 50% of youth participating in Enrichment programs identify with at least one of the following underrepresented populations:
- Individuals with disabilities
- Individuals attending elementary or high schools that need targeted or intensive support
- Individuals who are English Language learners
- Individuals who are experiencing homelessness or are unstably housed
- Individuals placed in the foster care system
Chicago Housing Authority (CHA)
In addition to the program models above, DFSS funds out-of-school time programs for young Chicagoans, ages 6 to 21, who are CHA housing residents. CHA Enrichment programs serve more than 400 participants annually through both Year-Round and Summer program models.
Who is eligible for CHA Enrichment programs?
CHA Enrichment programs are open to Chicago youth who are current residents of CHA housing in the following community areas: Douglas, Grand Boulevard, Near West Side, Riverdale, Roseland, and Washington Park.
For more information about DFSS Enrichment programs, email us at DFSSYouthDivision.Enrichment@cityofchicago.org