Sewer Permits

Prior to the start of work, a permit is required from the Department of Water Management for the construction, repair, adjustment, rodding or cleaning of any subsurface structure designed to collect or transport storm and/or sanitary waste water, either in private property or in the public way.  A Department of Water Management permit must be obtained only by a licensed drainlayer.  A licensed drainlayer is a person possessing a Sewer and Drain License issued by the Department of Water Management. Evidence of a current City of Chicago general business or home repair license and a Department of Transportation Public Way Work License must be presented at the time of application for a Drainlayer’s License.