Rental Assistance Program (RAP)


Para obtener información sobre asistencia de alquiler en español, haga clic aquí.

If you require RAP information in a language other than English and Spanish, in-person and phone translation are available. Please call or visit any of our six Community Service Centers listed at the bottom of this page for help in your language.

RAP is open to all Chicago residents regardless of legal immigration status. Rental assistance is not a “public-charge” benefit. If you are a person living with HIV, specific resources are available for you by calling the HIV Resource Coordination Hub at 1-844-HUB-4040.

NOTE: This is a separate program from the Department of Housing’s ERAP program.

NOTA: Este es un programa separado del programa ERAP del Departamento de Vivienda.

Are you Eligible for the Rental Assistance Program?

The Rental Assistance Program (RAP) provides funding to Chicagoans who are at risk of becoming homeless. RAP helps Chicagoans who have housing right now, but who may become homeless soon because they lost income or had another eligible emergency which prevents them from paying rent.


  • Payment of future rent, or rent arrears to prevent eviction
  • Security deposits in cases of fire, flood, foreclosure, domestic violence, or eviction


  • You live in the City of Chicago
  • You are at risk of becoming homeless due to eviction, loss of income or other emergency
  • You economically classify as a low-income household
  • Your landlord completes the RAP requirements


  • Eviction notice, proof of loss of income or proof of other qualifying emergency
  • Paystub, benefits statement, or affidavit (explanation) of no income
  • Driver's License, State ID, CityKey, or other
  • Lease
  • Landlord agreement forms




Apply Online -  Click Here

Download the RAP Flyer (click here)

Download FAQs (click here)


What Will Happen After You Apply

When your application is selected, a case manager will call or email you to make sure your application is complete. They may ask you to submit more documents. An in-person, video, or photo inspection of your rental unit is then required to make sure the unit meets federal standards.


Watch These Helpful Videos for More Info on RAP


For help with your application, or to apply in person, call or visit any of the City of Chicago Community Service Centers. Community service centers are open Monday-Friday between 9 am and 5 pm.

Englewood Community Service Center
1140 West 79th Street, Chicago, IL 60620, 312.747.0200 
Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm

Garfield Community Service Center
10 South Kedzie Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612, 312.746.5400 
Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service Center
4314 South Cottage Grove, Chicago, IL 60653, 312.747.2300 
Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm

North Area Community Service Center
845 West Wilson Avenue, Chicago, IL 60640, 312.744.2580 
Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm

South Chicago Community Service Center
8650 South Commercial Avenue, Chicago, IL 60617, 312.747.0500
Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm

Trina Davila Community Service Center
4312 West North Avenue, Chicago, IL 60639, 312.744.2014
Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm


The following documents may be required before final approval.

Affidavit of no income/no proof of income, no social security card, or no proof of identification

REQUIRED if anyone in your family does not have proof of income, a copy of their social security card, or valid identification

Property Owner/Management Company Participation Agreement
REQUIRED for application

Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (IRS Form W-9)
REQUIRED for all Property Owners/Managers

The following documents are required in specific circumstances

Property Manager Affidavit
REQUIRED for Property Managers if you are not renting directly from the property owner.

Property Owner/Manager – Client Payment Agreement
REQUIRED if more than 6 months rent owed

Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification (IRS Form W-9)
REQUIRED for all Property Owners/Managers

Federal Funding for RAP

The DFSS Rental Assistance Program obtains its funds from the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG). The program is subsidized by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Please note all requirements are subject to change and this page will be updated as regulations and requirements are revised.

Service Facts

People We Serve:
Programs & Initiatives: