Chicago Wheelchair Accessible Taxicabs (WAV)
The City of Chicago is committed to transportation access for people with disabilities. Wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV) taxicab drivers provide a critical service for people with disabilities by increasing accessible transportation options throughout Chicago.
NEW: Starting 2023, a taxi medallion licensee submitting a WAV TAXI VEHICLE MAINTENANCE SUBSIDY REQUEST APPLICATION form MUST schedule an intake appointment for BACP staff to review application form. Schedule an Intake Appointment
Request a WAV Taxicab
The Centralized WAV Taxicab Dispatch Service allows the public to contact one phone number or use a single smart phone app to request and connect with an available WAV taxicab. Curb Mobility, LLC (CURB) manages the City’s Centralized Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) Taxicab Dispatch Service.
Passengers can request a WAV taxicab ride by:
CALL 1-888-WAV-CABS (1-888-928-2227) OR by downloading the CURB app
Passengers will also be able to make in-app electronic (credit or debit) payments for their rides via the CURB app. For more information, including steps on how to download the CURB app, visit gocurb.com/ChicagoWAV.
Pace Taxi Access Program (TAP) certified paratransit passengers should book TAP rides by phone if they want to pay by TAP card. The TAP card cannot be integrated into the Curb app. Note -rides booked via the CURB app must be paid through the Curb app with a credit or debit card. TAP payments are not permitted through the CURB app. TAP riders should follow the protocols of the TAP User’s Guide, which requires TAP passengers to swipe their card in the card reader in the back of the taxi to deduct a ride at the end of the trip.
Request WAV Taxicabs for High Volume Events
The City of Chicago is committed to providing accessible transportation options for people with disabilities.
If you are planning or attending an event in the City of Chicago that may include high turnout from people with disabilities, including users of wheelchair accessible vehicles, you can request wheelchair accessible taxis in advance.
Send your advance request directly to the City of Chicago Centralized Wheelchair Accessible Taxicab Dispatch Service, CURB, at least three (3) business days in advance by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In your request, please include the following information: your name, your role in planning the event, your e-mail and phone number, event name, event date, start time, expected end time, event location, pick-up/drop-off location, estimated number of attendees who may use wheelchair accessible vehicles, estimated number of wheelchair accessible taxis needed and any other relevant information.
In addition, you may also request the Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP), disseminate a Public Vehicle Industry Notice requesting wheelchair accessible taxicabs be available for transportation needs. Send an email request to BACPPV@cityfochicago.org with the following information: your name, your role in planning the event, your e-mail and phone number, event name, location, date & start time, expected end time, pick-up/drop-off location, estimated number of attendees who may use wheelchair accessible vehicles, estimated number of wheelchair accessible taxis needed and any other relevant information.
- BACP will then share this information with City of Chicago wheelchair accessible taxi drivers. Please send the email request at least three (3) business days in advance of the event, if possible. Please send any requests for more information or questions to BACPPV@cityofchicago.org.
Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Driver Awards
The Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Driver Award highlights a taxicab driver who serves Chicago’s community of people with disabilities by driving a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV) taxicab and providing exemplary customer service to passengers. WAV taxicab drivers provide a critical service for people with disabilities by increasing accessible transportation options throughout Chicago.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles - Information for Owners
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) are required for certain licensees. Please refer to Section VII of the Taxi Medallion License Holder Rules and Regulations and Section 9-112-570 of the Municipal Code of Chicago for guidance.
For a list of Wheelchairs Accessible Vehicles (WAVs), click here to visit Public Vehicles data portal
- PV Notice 23-026 Request for WAV Taxis for ARC Music Festival
- PV Notice 23-023 ALERT! WAV Taxi Subsidy Program Updates EFF Aug 1 2023
- PV Notice 23-004 WAV Taxi Maintenance Subsidy Program Notice
- PV Notice 22-009 WAV Taxicab Driver Lease Subsidy Reminders
- PV Notice 20-011 Increased WAV Incentives for Taxicab Industry