Public Way Use
Due to COVID-19, effective Thursday, March 19, 2020, all Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP) licensing and permits will be conducted virtually/online and offices will be closed to the public until further notice. This includes the following locations:
- BACP Administrative Offices, 121 N. LaSalle St. Room 805
- Small Business Center, 121 N. LaSalle St. Room 800
- Public Vehicle Licensing Center, 2350 W. Ogden Ave. 1st Floor
- Public Vehicle Inspection Facility, 2420 W. Pershing Ave.
BACP will continue processing business licenses, where applicable, online or over the phone. Please visit www.chicagobusinessdirect.org or call 312-74-GOBIZ. Learn more about how to use Chicago Business Direct. Please allow for extra time as BACP staff are working hard to keep City services going under this disruption.
If your business has a sign, canopy, awning, bench, or anything that extends over, under or is on the public way, it requires a Public Way Use Permit (Grants of Privilege) issued by the Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP) - Public Way Use (PWU) Unit. The process to obtain the permit requires City Council approval. There are many different types of public way uses including Sidewalk Cafés.
Payments can now be made online on the City’s Payment Portal at pay.cityofchicago.org. You will need your business account number and permit number found on your payment coupon to process. The City of Chicago still accepts payment methods through the mail with a Personal Check, Money Order, Cashier’s Check or Certified Check. Please include your payment coupon with your payment. Please do not send cash payments through the mail. Cash and other payments may be made in person at City Hall – 121 N. LaSalle Street, Room #800.
In addition to a public way use permit, all business identifiers such as signs, awnings, canopies and banners are required to have a Department of Buildings sign construction permit. Only a licensed sign contractor may apply to obtain a sign construction permit. Please see the list of approved contractors.
You may apply for both permits at the same time at BACP.
You can apply in person at the BACP Small Business Center (SBC) located in City Hall, 121 North LaSalle Street, Room 800. Office hours are from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. You can request an appointment with an SBC Business Consultant here. Application forms are available and listed under the "Public Way Use Applications / Documents" section below.
For temporary use of the public way due to construction, applicants must obtain a Construction Canopy Permit from the Chicago Department of Transportation. Information about this permitting process is available here.
Public Way Use Applications / Documents
- Collection Bin Fact Sheet
- Collection Bin Program Application Package
- Business Information Sheet (BIS) - Pre-Application Form
- NEW Grant of Privilege Permit Application
- Public Way Use Fee Structure
- Sidewalk Cafe Application Information Package - 2020 Season (document designed for double-sided printing)
- New Sidewalk Cafe Rules and Regulations
- Sidewalk Cafe Extension Notice
- Sidewalk Cafe Permit Extension Form
- Sidewalk Cafe Full Year Information