An Ambulance license is required for any specially designed and equipped motor vehicle operated for the purpose of transporting and offering life support services to patients. A separate license is required for each private ambulance operated or maintained within the city of Chicago. The ambulance must be inspected by the State of Illinois Department of Public Health.
NOTE: A separate license is required for medical carriers, regulated under Chicago Municipal Code Chapter 9-114. A Medical Carrier license is required for vehicles designed or equipped for non-emergency transportation and used for the purposes of receiving medical attention. It may also be used to transport the ill, injured or disabled individuals for purposes other than medical care or treatment. For example, transporting elderly residents from their home to a senior center for social activities.
Ambulance License Requirements:
To apply for an Ambulance License applicants should have the following documentation and a completed license application form.
- Certificate of Good Standing or a Secretary of State Report from the Illinois Secretary of State Website - must be dated within the past 30 days.
- Submit corporate minutes indicating all officers, shareholders and directors.
- Submit Articles of Incorporation/Organization.
- Certificate of Insurance.
- Original titles for all vehicles.
- If vehicles are purchased as previously used, provide a Vehicle History Report (ie: Carfax or Autocheck)
- If you do not own the vehicle(s), provide the lease agreement(s).
- Original State Inspection forms for all vehicles.
- City Stickers for all vehicles.
- Provide a valid lease for the business, or proof of property ownership.All officers must complete an Indebtedness Affidavit.
Ambulance License Application Form:
Read the Ambulances Ordinance and Rules and Regulations:
Chicago businesses must comply with all relevant federal, state, and City laws and rules. All laws and rules of the City of Chicago including the Consumer Protection Law and Rules, are accessible to the public using the following link Municipal Code of Chicago, Illinois
$600.00 (per vehicle)
November 1- October 31
How to Apply:
Apply via email by emailing required documents to: BACPPV@cityofchicago.org or Apply in person by bringing all required documents and a completed license application form to:
Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection
Public Vehicle Operations Facility
2350 W. Ogden Ave., 1st Floor
Chicago, IL 60608
E-mail questions to: BACPPV@cityofchicago.org
8:00 am - 3:30 pm