Shared Housing Unit Operator
A “Shared Housing Unit Operator” is an owner or operator of more than one "shared housing unit".
A “shared housing unit” is part or all of a dwelling unit that is rented to guests through a Short Term Residential Rental Intermediary such as Airbnb. A shared housing unit is required to be registered with, and approved by, the City via a Short Term Residential Rental Intermediary as part of the process of signing up with the Intermediary.
Shared Housing Unit Operator business license provisions:
- Shared Housing Unit Operator must be a natural person; not a business entity.
- Shared Housing Unit Operator license does not guarantee that dwelling units are eligible for listing on a licensed platform.
For additional information, and how to apply, please review the Shared Housing Unit Operator license fact sheet.
Step 1: Submit License Application
License Application Requirements
Step 2: Document Review
Step 3: License Issuance
Please refer to the Municipal Code of Chicago (MCC) for additional information.
|Shared Housing Unit Operator|
Local contact person name, contact information and affidavit
- Press Release
- Shared Housing Ordinance
- FAQs about the Shared Housing Ordinance
- Prohibited Buildings List - Inclusion
- Prohibited Buildings List - Removal
- City Clerk Restricted Residential Zones
- Link to Data Portal/Prohibited Licenses
- Commissioner Adjustment Instructions
- Commissioner Adjustment Application
- File a Complaint