“A Shared Kitchen (Operator) License” is required for any establishment used as a place of business for the exclusive or primary purpose of utilizing, leasing or renting its commercial kitchen space to individuals, or business entities, for food preparation, temporary extra production capacity, menu planning, training, taste testing, product development, food packaging, food storage or any other food-related purpose; and does not hold a valid retail food establishment license.
“A Shared Kitchen Supplemental License” is required for any licensed retail or wholesale food establishment, that leases, rents or otherwise makes their commercial kitchen space available for utilization by individuals or business entities for food preparation, temporary extra production capacity, menu planning, training, taste testing, product development, food packaging, food storage or any other food-related purpose that is secondary or incidental to the establishment’s primary business activity of retail or wholesale food establishment.
A Shared Kitchen User - Long Term License is required by any person who utilizes, leases, or rents kitchen space at any licensed shared kitchen during the applicable two-year license period.
A Shared Kitchen User - Short Term License is required by any person who utilizes, leases, or rents kitchen space at any licensed shared kitchen for a period not to exceed 90 consecutive calendar days, as measured from the date that such short-term user license is issued.
- Check your Zoning designation (Only applies to Shared Kitchen Operator Licensees). Verify that your proposed business activities are allowed at your potential business location.
- DO NOT enter into any financial commitments (i.e. Commercial lease, Construction/build-out) unless you are certain that you are in the proper zoning district that allows the proposed business activity.
- DO NOT assume the previous owner’s zoning designation applies.
- Register your business with ALL of the appropriate government agencies.
- Check state or federal laws and requirements.
- Licensing Fact Sheet “What You Need To Know”
Shared Kitchen Operator $660, 2-year term
Shared Kitchen Supplemental $330 (this is in addition to the required retail/wholesale food license), 2-year term
Shared Kitchen Long Term User $330, 2-year term
Shared Kitchen Short Term User $75, up to 90 day term
Ready to Apply?
You may apply for a license online by visiting https://chicago.gov/ChicagoBusinessDirect, or in person at the Small Business Center in City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle Street, Room 800. For general licensing inquiries, call (312) 74-GOBIZ/(312) 744-6249.