Sidewalk Café Current Permits

The City of Chicago sidewalk café season begins on March 1st, and ends on February 28th.

Sidewalk Café Permits have a 12 month term, and must be applied for, and issued, every year.

The Sidewalk Café Permit, and approved plan, must be conspicuously displayed on the exterior wall or window of the main entrance of the licensed retail food establishment during all hours of operation.

Sidewalk Café Permits are issued by the Public Way Use Unit of BACP at the Small Business Center (SBC) located in City Hall, 121 North LaSalle Street, Room 800. To obtain a public way use permit, please contact us at 312.74.GOBIZ (744.6249).

Please call 311 for complaints and to report all illegal sidewalk cafes. You may also submit online or mobile app via CHI 311. 

I Want To