Street Peddlers and Performers
A “Street Peddler” is a person who moves from place to place, whether on private property or on the public way, selling goods, wares, merchandise, wood, fruits and/or vegetables which are whole and uncut. A street peddler may sell from a wagon, motor vehicle, handcart, pushcart or other vehicle.
A ”Street Performer” is any person who performs, but is not limited to, the following activities: acting, singing, playing musical instruments, pantomime, juggling, magic, dancing or reciting. A performance may take place between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Sundays through Thursdays, and 10:00 am and 10:00 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
For Street Peddlers
Certain areas of the City have been designated “no Peddling Zones.” Street peddlers are not permitted to conduct business in these zones. A complete list is available at the City Clerk’s office located at City Hall.
For Street Performers
Performances may take place on City of Chicago sidewalks, parkways, playgrounds or other public ways, but NOT on transit platforms and stations operated by the CTA or Metra. Additional prohibited areas, and performance rules, may be found in the Municipal Code of Chicago
$100.00 for a 2-year term
$50.00 for seniors who are 65 or more years of age at the time of application, veterans of the armed forces of the United States whose discharge from military or naval service was other than dishonorable, or a person with a physical or mental disability as certified by a medical doctor
- A separate license is required for each individual.
- Only one license is required to conduct both “Street Peddler” and “Street Performer” activities, however, all activities and all wares that such street peddler intends to sell, offer for sale, sell and deliver, barter or exchange must be clearly stated on the license application.
- Provide current government-issued identification, such as a valid driver’s license, passport or other official photo identification.
- Current residence address must be stated on the identification provided.
- All street peddlers must obtain an Illinois Department of Revenue Account ID (i.e. Illinois Business Tax) Number; register at tax.illinois.gov.
- Street Peddlers must be at least 16 years of age.
- Street Performers must provide proof that the applicant is at least 18 years of age.
Ready to Apply:
You may apply for a license online by visiting ChicagoBusinessDirect.org, or in person at the Small Business Center in City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle Street, Room 800. For general licensing inquiries, call (312) 74-GOBIZ/312.744.6249.