Tow Truck and Tow Storage Lot License
Effective September 21, 2021, any person engaging in the business of towing damaged or disabled vehicles from the public way will be required to hold the requisite Tow Truck License. No licensee may tow a vehicle under Chapter 4-227 of the Municipal Code to a location other than a licensed storage lot operated by the licensee or a location owned or operated by a person licensed pursuant to Chapter 4-228 (a Motor Vehicle Repair licensee), unless the operator or owner of the vehicle to be towed affirmatively requests such vehicle be towed to another location.
- Photo ID for all controlling persons
- Safety relocator’s registration certificate issued by the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC)
- Copy of lease or proof of ownership of the storage lot property
- Detailed site plan for the storage lot
- Proof of sufficient insurance coverage. Insurance coverage requirements: A liability insurance policy insuring the owner and operator (1) for injury to person, in an amount not less than $100,000.00 to any one person and $300,000.00 for any one accident; (2) for damage to property other than a vehicle being towed, in an amount not less than $50,000.00 for any one accident; and (3) for damage to any vehicle towed by the tower, in an amount not less than $15,000.00 per vehicle.
- The make, model, license plate number and Vehicle Identification Number of each tow truck
License Fees (for a two-year term):
- Tow Truck license: $250 per truck
- Tow Storage Lot license: $250 per location
- All applicants (controlling persons of the business) will need to be fingerprinted for a criminal history review
Tow Storage Lot applications can be made in-person at the Small Business Center (see below) or online through Chicago Business Direct. Tow Truck applications will need to be submitted in-person at the Small Business Center.