Breast is Best
Breastfeeding is recognized as one of the most effective methods of preventing illness and protecting the health of infants and mothers. It provides babies with a healthy start in life by protecting them against Type 1 and 2 diabetes, asthma, allergies, and more. In addition, breastfed babies are less likely to be obese or overweight as children; studies suggest that this protection lasts into adolescence and adulthood.
A woman’s decision to breastfeed is influenced by many factors, such as the information she receives about breastfeeding before and during her pregnancy, the support she has from family members, the amount of help she receives with breastfeeding in the hospital, or her need to return to work or school after the baby is born.
- You can find out more about the benefits of breast feeding here.
Here are 10 Reasons Why Breast Is Best:
- Provides perfect nutrition for baby
- Breast milk is free
- Provides first immunization
- Helps make baby smarter
- Is easily digested
- Reduces mothers risk of breast and ovarian cancer
- Promotes bonding with baby
- Protects baby from some germs and illness
- Especially good for tiny and premature babies
The Chicago Department of Public Health is challenging women to take the pledge to breastfeed their babies. Are you willing to take the pledge? You can download it here. Carry it with you and when you deliver, give it to your nurse so she knows you are ready to breastfeed your baby.