Chicago Transportation Network Providers (Ride-Hail Companies)
- The City of Chicago Transportation Network Providers (TNP) Ordinance establishes a licensing and regulatory framework for the TNP Industry, also referred as the ride-hail or ride-share industry. The TNP Ordinance focuses on:
- Safe rides by requiring TNP companies to get licensed, conduct background checks and train affiliated drivers, inspect affiliated vehicles and obtain insurance
- Protecting consumers by requiring up-front pricing acceptance, requiring that 311 information be included in vechiles and on the app, and mandating clear identification of affiliated vehicles and drivers
- A TNP company provides prearranged transportation services for compensation through an Internet-enabled application or digital platform to connect passengers with drivers of vehicles for hire. TNP drivers and their vehicles join and become affiliated with TNP companies and are then available to be dispatched through the TNP’s digital platform. Each TNP company must be licensed. The TNP license is an annual license which is not transferable.
- Affiliated TNP vehicles and drivers must obtain for display a TNP Vehicle Registration Emblem with TNP Chauffeur License through their affiliated TNP company
- The TNP Ordinance is Chapter 9-115 of the Municipal Code of Chicago and went into effect September 2, 2014.
Starting January 6, 2020, the Ground Transportation Tax for all trips on Transportation Network Providers (Uber, Lyft or Via) will change as part of Chicago's first step to address Congestion.
Click on the link to see new City of Chicago Congestion Pricing.
General Information on City of Chicago TNPs
- Transportation Network Providers License Fact Sheet
- Transportation Network Provider Trip Taxes & Fees Effective January 6, 2020
- Transportation Network Provider Datasets on Chicago’s Data Portal
- Know Before You Rideshare
- Know How to Identify a Transportation Networking Provider (TNP)
- Know Before You Use Your Car For Commercial Purposes
- TNP Debt Collection FAQs
Rules and Requirements
- Transportation Network Providers Rules Amended and Effective 2020Aug10 NEW
- Transportation Network Providers Rules -Amended & Effective January 1st, 2017- August 9, 2020
- Transportation Network Driver Training Curriculum Components
- Tips for Motorists
- TNP Vehicle Inspections Notice
TNP Chauffeur (Driver) License and Vehicle Registration Portal
- TNP drivers must obtain a Chicago TNP Chauffeur License before operating in Chicago.
- TNP vehicles must be registered with the City of Chicago before operating in Chicago.
- The issued one page Emblem contains verification of a TNP chauffeur license and vehicle registration. The Emblem must be always displayed while the TNP chauffeur and vehicle are operating in the City of Chicago.
- TNP chauffeur license and vehicle registration emblems expire annually on June 30.
- Failure to register and display a current TNP chauffeur license and vehicle registration emblem may subject the owner or the driver to impoundment of the vehicle and/or fines.
Wheelchair Accessible TNP Vehicles
- Increased WAV Service Incentives for Transportation Network Providers (TNP)
- TNP WAV Incentive Subsidy Request Form
- Aviation (O'Hare and Midway) TNP Maps and Directives
- Notice of Mandated Suspension of TNP Re-match Capability at Chicago Airports
- TNP Protocol Directive from the City of Chicago Department of Aviation