A City of Chicago ordinance that licenses and regulates the Pedicab Industry went into effect on June 7, 2014.
A pedicab is a human pedal-powered public passenger vehicle used to transport passengers for hire. A pedicab chauffeur is the person that drives or peddles and controls the direction and steering of the pedicab.
The Pedicabs Ordinance is Chapter 9-110 of the Municipal Code of Chicago.
- The Pedicabs Ordinance created two new licenses: pedicab license and pedicab chauffeur license.
- Each pedicab vehicle operating in the City of Chicago must be licensed.
- A pedicab license is obtained by the owner of the pedicab vehicle and authorizes the pedicab vehicle to operate in the City of Chicago.
- A pedicab chauffeur license must be obtained before operating a pedicab in the City of Chicago. Click here for more information on public chauffeur licensing.
- Know Before You Pedicab
- Pedicab Fact Sheet
- Public Chauffeur RENEWAL License Application
- Pedicab Chauffeur License Checklist for New Applicants
- Public Chauffeur NEW License Application
- Department of Finance Pedicab Ground Transportation Tax Notice
- Public Vehicle Industry Notice: Pedicab Licensing & Regulatory Compliance
- Pedicab Licensing Exam Schedule
- Pedicab Vehicle and Change of Vehicle Application vd 4.7.17
- 2021-2022 Pedicab Vehicle License RENEWAL Checklist
- Public Vehicle Advertising Permit Process Guide
- 2021 Wrigley Field Cubs Game Transportation Restrictions
► Keep Informed! Send an e-mail to BACPPV@cityofchicago.org to join the BACP Public Vehicle e-distribution list to receive Public Vehicle Industry Notices regarding laws, events, and issues that affect Chicago's public vehicle industry. Write “Sign Me Up” in the e-mail’s subject line.
►Questions or comments may be sent directly to BACPPV@cityofchicago.org