A City of Chicago ordinance that licenses and regulates the Pedicab Industry went into effect on June 7, 2014.
A pedicab is a human pedal-powered public passenger vehicle used to transport passengers for hire. A pedicab chauffeur is the person that drives or peddles and controls the direction and steering of the pedicab.
The Pedicabs Ordinance is Chapter 9-110 of the Municipal Code of Chicago.
- The Pedicabs Ordinance created two new licenses: pedicab license and pedicab chauffeur license.
- Each pedicab vehicle operating in the City of Chicago must be licensed.
- A pedicab license is obtained by the owner of the pedicab vehicle and authorizes the pedicab vehicle to operate in the City of Chicago.
- A pedicab chauffeur license must be obtained before operating a pedicab in the City of Chicago. Click here for more information on public chauffeur licensing.
Information and Notices
- Pedicab Fact Sheet
- Know Before You Pedicab
- Pedicab Complaint Form
- Public Vehicle Advertising Permit Process Guide
- Department of Finance Pedicab Ground Transportation Tax Notice
- BACP PV Notice 22-003 Pedicab Noise & Music Restrictions
- BACP PV Notice 22-013 Pedicab License – Renew or Expire
- PV Notice 22-021 Pedicab Law Reminders
License Checklist and Forms
- Public Chauffeur RENEWAL License Application
- Pedicab Chauffeur License Checklist for New Applicants
- Pedicab Licensing Exam Schedule
- Public Chauffeur NEW License Application
- Pedicab Vehicle and Change of Vehicle Application vd 4.7.17
- 2021-2022 Pedicab Vehicle License RENEWAL Checklist
- Pedicab Waiting List Form
Traffic Flow Management and Public Safety Directives
- North Ave Beach Restrictions Map
- Solder Field Traffic Management Restrictions 2022
- Pride in the Park Transportation Restrictions
- Pitchfork Music Festival Transportation Restrictions 2022
- Mustache Crawl Transportation Restrictions
- Air & Water Show 2022 Transportation Restrictions
- PV Notice 22-022 OEMC & CPD Wrigley Field Restrictions - Aug. 16, 2022
- Wrigley Field Traffic Management Restrictions 2022
- Riot Fest Event Transportation Restrictions Maps 2022
- PV Notice 22-026 Pedicab Operating Restrictions Near Navy Pier
- Christkindlmarket Transportation Restrictions Map 2022
- The Twelve Bars of Christmas (TBOX) Transportation Restrictions 2022
- 2023 River Dying and Downtown Parade Transportation Restrictions
► Keep Informed! Send an e-mail to BACPPV@cityofchicago.org to join the BACP Public Vehicle e-distribution list to receive Public Vehicle Industry Notices regarding laws, events, and issues that affect Chicago's public vehicle industry. Write “Sign Me Up” in the e-mail’s subject line.
►Questions or comments may be sent directly to BACPPV@cityofchicago.org