Required Documents for Liquor License Applications

The following is a comprehensive list of documentation that is required to be submitted when filing a liquor license application and/or a Change of Owners/Stockholders Type III. Documentation must be submitted to a Case Manger and reviewed for accuracy.

  1. Completed City of Chicago Individual History Form (IHF) provided by the City of Chicago for individuals who have 5% or more direct or indirect interest in the business or officers of the applicant entity.
  2. A copy of a Photo Identification: Drivers License, State ID or Passport for each person required to complete an Individual History Form.
  3. Completed Spousal Affidavit (SPA) for spouses of individuals who have 5% or more direct or indirect interest in the business.
  4. Lease to the property in question made to the applicant for a minimum of 1 year. If the applicant is the owner of the property, proof of ownership is required, such as a deed or a tax bill.
  5. Financial Disclosure Form (FDF) detailing the source of funds used to establish the business.
  6. Certificate of Liquor Liability or Dram Shop Insurance issued to the business for the premises in the aggregate amount of $300,000 per occurrence. The policy should cover the license period. The Local Liquor Control Commissioner must be named as the certificate holder. There must be a 30-day cancellation notice included on the certificate.
  7. Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training Program Certificate. Required for the manager or owner of a business. If you already have a certificate, make sure that it is still current as they expire every three years. Please visit for a list of BASSET classes in your area.
  8. Business Structure Documents (for primary applicant only)
    Corporations - Corporate Minutes (showing election of new officers and resignation of previous officers.); All issued Stock Certificates (Cancelled and Current privately held corporation only); Articles of Incorporation; Business Organization Chart.
    Limited Liability Corporation - Operating Agreement; Articles of Organization; Business Organization Chart.
    Limited Partnership - Partnership Agreement; Business Organization Chart; Certificate of Limited Partnership.
    Partnership - Partnership Agreement (if applicable); Business Organization Chart.
    Sole Proprietor - Proof of Chicago Residence.
  9. Site plan of the premises - a plat of survey or a drawing showing the property where your establishment is located.
  10. Detailed floor plan of the business - Show exits, restrooms, seating, shelving, display units, bar area.
  11. Purchase/Sale Agreement - If the applicant is purchasing an existing business.
  12. Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) Account ID (formerly known as Illinois Business Tax Number (IBT)) - You must register with the Illinois Department of Revenue if you conduct business in Illinois or with Illinois customers. You must also register if your business is a sole proprietor (individual or husband/wife), an exempt organization, or a government agency, and you are liable for reporting Sales and/or Use Tax, sales for resale, or withholding for Illinois employees. For further information, contact the Illinois Department of Revenue at 217-785-3707 or apply online.
  13. Employer Identification Number (EIN) - A federal Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, is a nine-digit number that the IRS assigns to business entities. The IRS uses this number to identify taxpayers that are required to file various business tax returns. You can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or apply online.
  14. Occupancy Placard issued by the City of Chicago Department of Buildings. This is required in each and every room or space that is being used for assembly purposes, where the total cumulative occupancy of all spaces exceeds 100 persons. Applicants applying for a Packaged Goods and Caterer’s liquor license are not required to obtain or submit an occupancy placard. Click here for more information on how to apply for a Occupancy Placard.
  15. Packaged Goods Affidavit (PGA) - Completed by an applicant for a Packaged Goods License if the establishment is located in a "B" zoning classification.
  16. Food Service Menu - Restaurants applying for Consumption on Premises - Incidental Activity License, Caterer’s License, or Caterer’s Registration must submit a copy of the food service menu.

Supporting Information Facts

I Want To