COVID-19 Housing Assistance Grants
Lottery Application Intake
The Department of Housing's COVID-19 Housing Assistance Grants program received a second round of funding through the federal CARES Act, and the second round of applications for lottery was launched July 27, 2020. The Department is closing out this second round of rental assistance through the end of the year,and anticipates putting 100% of the allocated funds to use.
In December of 2020, Congress approved an additional rental assistance fund, which the City expects to receive an allocation from. Information about any future rounds of rental assistance resulting from those allocations will be posted on this webpage.
The grants program is part of the larger Chicago Housing Assistance Portal, a partnership with the Department of Family & Support Services. Applicants in need of assistance can proceed through the intake process at chi.gov/housinghelp. Currently, only DFSS has funding available, however as new funding is made available, the Housing Assistance Portal will be updated to reflect that information.
Community Organization Intake
The Department of Housing has partnered with a group of community organizations who will be assisting with application intake for the grants program. Those community organizations are listed below. All funding for applications through these organizations has been allocated to households in need as of December 20, 2020. However, as new funding for programs becomes available, this list will be updated.
The partners in our Housing Assistance Grants program to date have been:
- Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago — www.nhschicago.org/emergencyassistance
- Metropolitan Family Services of Chicago — www.metrofamily.org/covid-19/
- Chicago Bungalow Association — www.chicagobungalow.org/covid19
- Far South Community Development Corporation — www.farsouthcdc.org/live/
- Chicago Urban League
- Southwest Organizing Project — www.swopchicago.org
- Greater Auburn Gresham Development Corporation — email@example.com
- Chinese Mutual Aid Association
- Northwest Side Housing Center — www.nwshc.org/programs
- Spanish Coalition for Housing — bit.ly/SCHEmergencyAssistance
- Oak Park Regional Housing Center
- Esperanza Health Centers
- Garfield Park Community Council
- United African Organization
Last update: August 6th, 2020.