Public Health Guidance
In February 2022, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) developed COVID-19 Community Levels to help communities decide what prevention steps to take based on the latest local COVID-19 data. Levels are determined each week for each county in the U.S. Using these metrics, Chicago’s COVID-19 risk level is high. Learn more here.
Businesses and local municipalities may choose to implement additional prevention strategies as they deem appropriate. This guidance will be updated as the CDC and IDPH release new recommendations and is meant to supplement any federal or state guidance, safety laws, rules, regulations, or business safety policies that may expressly require a face covering and/or social distancing. Continue to consult the CDC, IDPH, and CDPH websites for updated resources, guidelines, and rules related to COVID-19 safety.
- COVID-19 vaccines are safe, effective, and widely available across Illinois. Eligible Chicagoans ages 5 years and older should be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible to protect themselves against severe outcomes – like hospitalization or death.
- Individuals 12 years of age and over are recommended to get a booster shot if it has been five months after completing the Pfizer or Moderna two-dose vaccine series or two months after getting the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
- Regardless of vaccination status, if you have symptoms of COVID-19, get tested and avoid public spaces except to get medical care.
- Effective February 28, 2022, the City of Chicago has removed the mask and vaccine requirements for certain public spaces.
- If hospitals in Chicago remain in good control, the Chicago Department of Public Health will not reinstate a citywide mask mandate even as the region moved to High. However, that could change if the local health system started to experience that same pressure.
- Masks continue to be required in:
The City of Chicago has compiled health-focused posters for download and use.
Refer to this page for employee-specific resources on worker protections and labor laws.