BACP oversees the licensing of Chicago’s public chauffeurs and public vehicles including taxicabs, liveries, transportation network providers (ride-hail), charter and sight-seeing buses, horse drawn carriages, ambulances, water taxis and tour boats.
Public Vehicle Licensing and Inspection Facilities
The following BACP public vehicle licensing and inspection facilities have reopened to the public with capacity limits and social distancing protocols in place:
- Public Vehicle Licensing Operations Facility, 2350 W. Ogden Avenue, 1st Floor: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Public Vehicle Inspection Facility, 2430 W. Pershing Avenue: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Anyone entering BACP’s Public Vehicle Licensing Facility at 2350 W. Ogden Avenue will undergo a symptom screening, including a temperature check, before entering the facility. Visitors will also be required to wear face coverings and maintain six feet of social distancing while in the facility and are encouraged to bring their own pen.
- Arrive early! For public safety and security, once the building reaches occupancy capacity, visitors will have to line out and wait outside for clearance to enter the building. Prepare for waiting outside in inclement weather.
- License applicants must check in at the reception desk before 3 pm to target same day service.
- Due to COVID-19, BACP encourages the processing of licenses and permits via email.
Email BACP Public Vehicle at BACPPV@CITYOFCHICAGO.ORG To:
- Submit public vehicle licensing applications and documents
- Request to change public vehicle inspection dates
- Sign up for public vehicle industry notices for the latest news and announcements
- For questions on public passenger industry licensing and regulations.
* The Taxicab Driver Excellence Award nominations are open! Use the nomination form to nominate a taxicab driver who serves our community of people with disabilities, drives a wheelchair accessible vehicle (WAV) taxicab and provides exemplary customer service to passengers. The winners will receive a free Chicago taxicab medallion. Visit the Taxicab Driver Excellence Webpage for more information.*
CHICABS.ORG: Passenger Information
BACP ensures Chicago’s public vehicles are safe, reliable and provide residents and visitors a positive transportation experience. This page provides information for passengers of taxicabs, including how to submit a compliment or complaint, how to request a taxicab and taxicab fare information.
Chicago Public Chauffeur Licenses
Individuals who are paid to drive a public passenger vehicle (taxicab, limousine, pedicab, etc.) must be licensed as a Public Chauffeur. This page provides information on the Public Chauffeur License and how to apply. BACP issues public chauffeur licenses to taxi, livery, pedicab, and transportation network provider/ride-hail drivers.
Chicago Public Passenger Vehicle Licenses (Other than Taxi and TNP/Ride-Hail)
For-hire Public Passenger Vehicles driven by public chauffeurs must be licensed by BACP. This page provides an overview of the Public Passenger Vehicle Licenses issued by BACP and information on how to apply. Information is available for taxicabs, liveries, charter-sightseeing buses, ride-hail or transportation network provider (TNP) vehicles, jitneys, pedicabs, medicars, ambulances and tour boats/water taxis.
Chicago Taxicab Medallion License Information
Taxicabs are vehicles licensed for hire at fare rates set by the City, which are recorded by a taximeter. A taxi may be hailed by customers on the street, cab stand, or prearranged. Taxis are driven by licensed taxi chauffeurs.
Chicago Transportation Network Providers (Ride-Hail Companies)
A company which connects potential passengers with the company’s affiliated TNP drivers through an Internet-enabled application or digital platform for compensation. This transportation business model is commonly referred to as “rideshare” or “ride hail”.
Chicago Wheelchair Accessible Taxicabs (WAV)
Learn how to request a wheelchair accessible taxicab ride.
The Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protections (BACP) processes, investigates and prosecutes complaints filed through the City’s 311 system related to consumer fraud, business licensees, and cabs and ride share operators.
Data Portal - Public Vehicle Licenses
Access the City of Chicago Data Portal for data on BACP licensed public passenger vehicles. Published datasets include, but are not limited to, public passenger vehicles, public chauffeurs, taxi trips, transportation network provider (TNP) vehicles, TNP drivers, and TNP trips.
Public Vehicle Advertising
Apply for Public Vehicle Advertising Permits on-line. Advertising displays on taxicab, TNP (ride-vehicle), livery, charter-sightseeing, and pedicab vehicles requires an annual advertising permit.
Public Vehicle Industry Notices
Keep Informed! Send an e-mail to BACPPV@cityofchicago.org to join the BACP Public Vehicle e-distribution list to receive notices regarding laws, events, and issues that impact Chicago's public vehicle industry. Published BACP Public Vehicle Industry Notices are posted on this webpage.
Suburban Taxi, Livery, and Charter Bus Registration for Ground Transportation Tax and MPEA Fees
Online portal for suburban public passenger vehicle operators to comply with mandated registration for MPEA (Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority) and Ground Transportation Tax requirements.