WIC and Nutrition for Families
WIC-Women Infant Children is a federal funded program implemented by the City of Chicago Department of Public Health that provides pregnant, breastfeeding, postpartum women, children, and infants with nutrition assistance.
WIC is a special nutrition program that assists with:
- Pregnant, breast-feeding or post-partum women
- Infants up to one year of age
- Children up to 5 years of age
- Participants must both be low income and at nutritional risk
- Nutrition counseling
- Free breastfeeding counseling
- Monthly checks for items such as milk, eggs, cereal, cheese, and produce
- Infants receive infant formula and as they get older, cereal and baby food
Contact one of the WIC locations near you to get started! Click here to view a list of WIC locations.
To apply for WIC benefits, bring the following to a WIC Location:
- Identity Document for Women/Caregivers and Children
- Proof of Income
- Proof of Address
To qualify for WIC, you must meet income guidelines.
Acceptable Documents for WIC
ID For Women And Caregivers
- Current Driver’s License
- Government Issued ID
- Tax Forms
- Social Security Card
- School or Work Photo ID
- Birth Certificate
ID For Children
- Birth Certificate (Legal or Hospital)
- Immunization Record
- Hospital ID Bracelets
- Crib Card
- Social Security Card
- Current check stubs (recent 30 days)
- Social Security Benefits
- Public Assistance payments/ Unemployment compensation
- Alimony or Child Support Payments
- Regular Contributions from persons not living in the household
- Medicaid, SNAP or TANF Notice of Decision Letter, with current dates and information
- Foster parents may provide written documentation from the Department of Children and Family Services
- Current piece of mail (less than 60 days old))
- Rental agreement
- Federal or State issued identification, that includes residence may be used with self-declaration of the applicant that the address listed is current and correct.
- Current Department of Child & Family Services (DCFS) foster parent placement papers
For Pregnant Women
- Confirmation of pregnancy from your healthcare provider
- WIC form from Doctor
*Please refer to the back of your Yellow WIC book if you are a returning client.
For more information please call the Chicago Department of Public Health at 312.747.9140.