Youth Vax Home
Not Sure About Vaccinating Your Little Ones?
Find out everything you need to know about the COVID-19
vaccine for kids under 5 before you do
The vaccine has been designed with your child’s unique safety profile in mind, specifically re-sized for little ones ages 6 months through 4 years.
The vaccine may be new, but the technology behind it is well established. It has been studied for more than 20 years, long before anyone knew about COVID-19.
Pediatricians have been involved in the research, development, and approval of the vaccine throughout the process.
The vaccine is like a substitute teacher. It comes in to teach our bodies how to fight the COVID-19 virus and then leaves.
Potential serious side effects are extremely rare and effects of the COVID-19 virus are much more severe. The vaccine has been held to the same safety and effectiveness standards as other vaccines.
When you're ready to move forward, talk to your health care provider or visit us on the City of Chicago website.
Hear it Straight From the Experts
Find out what pediatricians and other healthcare professionals
have to say about the COVID-19 vaccine
"Pediatricians helped with the development of the COVID-19 vaccine for infants every step of the way."
– Vianess Santiago, Registered Nurse, mother
"Parenting in a pandemic is new. But the science behind the COVID-19 vaccine is over 20 years old."
– Dr. Felicia Scott Wellington, Pediatrician, mother
"I always tell my nervous patients: the vaccine for children 6 months and older is specially formulated for them. It’s safe."
– Dr. David Trotter, Emergency Medicine, father
More Help is Available
Prefer having a real human being to talk to? Learn more about
how you can protect your child by reaching out to your
healthcare provider of contacting our free helpline.
Research & References
Feel free to research and review all of the relevant articles and medical research being referenced in the website. That way, you can feel confident in your decision to get your child vaccinated.
- CDC Pediatric Data
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccines. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- COVID-19 Vaccination for Children. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- How do vaccines work. University of Chicago Medical Center
- Diseases you almost forgot about (thanks to vaccines). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Understanding how COVID-19 vaccines work. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Vaccine history: developments by year. Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- The long history of mRNA vaccines. Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Understanding mRNA COVID-19 vaccines. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The new technology behind COVID-19 RNA vaccines and what this means for future outbreaks. Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health