Chicago Taxicab Medallion License Information
“Taxicab” means a public passenger vehicle licensed for hire at fare rates set by the City, which are recorded by a taximeter. A taxi may be hailed by customers on the street or prearranged. Taxis are driven by licensed public chauffeurs. Review the comprehensive guide on CHICAGO’S GUIDE TO LICENSING PUBLIC PASSENGER VEHICLES.
ORDINANCE REDUCES REGULATIONS AND FINANCIAL BURDENS FOR THE TAXICAB INDUSTRY
- Longer Life and Utilization for Taxicab Vehicles.
- Higher odometer mileage for a vehicle being initiated as a taxicab.
- Flexibility for smaller taxicab owners.
- Defer WAV taxicab mandate.
- Opens up opportunity for more individuals to be taxicab drivers.
Read more details by clicking on this image
Taxicab License Fees & Taxes
Taxicab Medallion License: $500/2-year term
Ground Transportation Tax: $98/month
Taxi Accessible Fund Fee: $22/month
Taxi Chauffeur License: $5/2-year term
Important Schedules for Taxicab Owners and Managers
- 2023 Taxicab Medallion License Renewal Instructions and Checklist
- Taxicab Vehicle Inspection Schedule for Year 2023
- Taxicab Medallion License Renewal Schedule for 2023
- Taxicab Medallion License Renewal Schedule for 2023 Excel
Ordinances and Rules
- Fuel Surcharge for Chicago Licensed Taxicabs Introduced to City Council
- Proposed Ordinance O2022-2373
Department of Finance Information
Notices and Information
- Approved Electronic Equipment
- TAP CARD DO'S & DON'TS
- Updated Process For Taxicab Medallion License Surrenders
- PV Notice 23-005 Steps to Keep Licenses in Compliance
Public Vehicle Licensee Information at The City of Chicago Data Portal
Explore the City of Chicago Data Portal at data.cityofchicago.org for information on BACP licensed public passenger vehicles. Published datasets include, but are not limited to, public passenger vehicles, public chauffeurs, taxi trips, transportation network provider (TNP) vehicles, TNP drivers, and TNP trips.
Taxicab Medallion License Transfer Prices 8/22/2007 to Present
Taxi Medallion Transfers Data is now available at the City of Chicago Data Portal. Click on the following links to access: