Chicago Taxicab Medallion License Information
“Taxicab” means a public passenger vehicle licensed for hire at fare rates set by the City, which are recorded by a taximeter. A taxi may be hailed by customers on the street or prearranged. Taxis are driven by licensed public chauffeurs. Review the comprehensive guide on CHICAGO’S GUIDE TO LICENSING PUBLIC PASSENGER VEHICLES.
- Longer Life and Utilization for Taxicab Vehicles.
- Higher odometer mileage for a vehicle being initiated as a taxicab.
- Flexibility for smaller taxicab owners.
- Defer WAV taxicab mandate.
- Opens up opportunity for more individuals to be taxicab drivers.
Taxicab License Fees & Taxes
Taxicab Medallion License: $500/2-year term
Ground Transportation Tax: $98/month
Taxi Accessible Fund Fee: $22/month
Taxi Chauffeur License: $5/2-year term
Important Schedules for Taxicab Owners and Managers
- 2022 Taxicab Medallion License Renewal Instructions and Checklist
- Taxicab Vehicle Inspection Schedule - UPDATED
- Taxicab Medallion License Renewal Schedule for 2022
- Taxicab Medallion License Renewal Schedule for 2022 Excel
Ordinances and Rules
- Fuel Surcharge for Chicago Licensed Taxicabs Introduced to City Council
- Proposed Ordinance O2022-2373
Department of Finance Information
Notices and Information
Public Vehicle Licensee Information at The City of Chicago Data Portal
Taxicab Medallion License Transfer Prices 8/22/2007 to Present
Taxi Medallion Transfers Data is now available at the City of Chicago Data Portal. Click on the following links to access: