Healthcare System Preparedness Program
CDPH receives funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR), Hospital Preparedness Program (HPP).
CDPH and its healthcare system partners conduct the work of the HPP via the local Health Care Coalition, the Chicago Health System Coalition for Preparedness and Response (CHSCPR), which is made up of hospitals, public health, emergency medical services (EMS), End-Stage Renal Disease Network (ESRD), long-term care, and others. The Coalition structure provides a functioning process that is inclusive of the needs of all partners within the Chicago healthcare delivery system. The CHSCPR has organized its work around a number of committees and subcommittees, most of which reflect the ASPR HPP capabilities. Each committee is chaired/co-chaired by representatives from hospitals, public health, EMS, or other partner agencies who ensure that work is undertaken toward the goal of achieving fulfillment of the ASPR HPP requirements and expectations relevant to each specific committee.
The CHSCPR works to build capacity across the Chicago healthcare delivery system within the four Health Care Preparedness and Response Capabilities:
- Foundation for Health Care and Medical Readiness
- Health Care and Medical Response Coordinator
- Continuity of Health Care Service Delivery
- Medical Surge
Selected activities related to the identified capabilities include:
- Interoperable Communication Systems
- Bed Availability/Tracking
- Emergency System for Advance Registration of Volunteer Health Professionals [ESAR-VHP] known in Illinois as Illinois Helps (http://www.illinoishelps.com)
- Medical Evacuation/Shelter in Place
- Alternate Care Site Planning
- Resource Development (PPE, Pharmaceuticals, Supplies, Equipment)
- Medical Reserve Corps Development
- Preparedness Education and Training (National Incident Management System, Incident Command System)
- Exercises, Evaluation and After Action Reports/Improvement Plans
- Medical Surge (Burn, Pediatric/Neonatal)
Click here for more information about the CHSCPR, the Chicago Health Care Coalition.